Company: University of Colorado
Posted on: March 28, 2020
Campus ControllerRequisition Number:24952Location:Boulder,
ColoradoEmployment Type:University StaffSchedule:Full-TimePosting
Close Date:13-Apr-2020Date published:23-Mar-2020Close All Job
SummaryThe University of Colorado Boulder encourages applications
for its Campus Controller, to serve as a key member of CU Boulders
financial leadership team and to direct and oversee the
administration of financial services for the Boulder campus. The
Controller has primary responsibility for all financial reporting
for the campus. This includes understanding and applying Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting
Standards Board (GASB) pronouncements as related to public higher
education universities, establishing fiscal policies and procedures
for the campus community, and implementing internal controls
intended to ensure reasonable levels of fiscal control and
compliance with applicable rules, laws, regulations, and policies.
This position represents the Associate Vice Chancellor for Budget
and Finance (AVCBF) in a wide variety of forums and groups related
to fiscal policies and financial issues. The Controller has three
direct reports and leads an organization of over 50 employees.This
position requires a dynamic, forward-thinking leader who can build
strong working relationships within the department and across the
university and can bring innovation and creative approaches to
building a financial function for the future. The Controller needs
both technical expertise and emotional intelligence to manage the
continuing cultural and operational changes as processes and tools
continue to be implemented, improved, and integrated.Who We AreThe
Campus Controller's Office maintains and supports the university's
fiscal responsibility through accurate financial accounting and
reporting in compliance with laws, regulations, policies/procedures
and contract requirements. We provide oversight, assistance and
training in financial stewardship for the Boulder campus.What Your
Key Responsibilities Will BeFinancial Management
- Maintain financial management over the universitys financial
accounts including operating funds (general, auxiliary, gift, grant
funds), loan funds, and plant funds.
- Provide accounting support and compliance assistance with
respect to Federal, State and University rules and regulations to
various campus departments.
- Provide mentorship and oversight through the establishment,
communication, and enforcement of fiscal policies and procedures
that are appropriate to the CU Boulder community.
- Direct cost accounting functions in support of the universitys
Facilities & Administrative Rate calculations and
- Work with administrators at all levels of CU Boulder and the CU
System to resolve accounting-related issues, assure reasonable
levels of compliance with various fiscal policies and procedures,
and provide oversight and adherence to various financial
- Coordinate and implement the monthly and fiscal year-end
closing processes and procedures for staff to ensure all critical
accounting tasks are performed.
- Maintain accounting control over the universitys movable
equipment inventory in conjunction with university
- Maintain appropriate governance over all of the universitys
financial data.Internal Controls and Compliance
- Implement and maintain internal controls and financial
reporting policies, standards and procedures that assure fiscal
practices align with external rules, regulations and restrictions,
Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), and Governmental
Accounting Standards (GASB).
- Ensure compliance with statutory requirements and university
policy, including county, state and federal regulations and Board
of Regents/university policies.
- Direct the development and implementation of financial training
programs as campus outreach to ensure staff and departmental
personnel have the available mentorship to perform their job duties
according to GAAP and within the rules and regulations of the
- Work closely with the Fiscal Compliance office on financial
compliance issues.Financial Reporting
- Provide fiscal oversight of the campus-level financial reports
and coordinate with the University System Office of the University
Controller to integrate the campus financial reporting information
into the system-wide Financial Statements and the State of Colorado
- Direct the preparation of other external reporting
requirements, including federal reporting requirements relating to
grants and contracts, IPEDS Survey, and any other required
financial reporting by campus.
- Coordinate with the CFO, AVCBF, and the University Controller
to resolve system accounting and financial reporting issues.
- Ensure the validity, reliability, and timeliness of accounting
information through review and analysis, and in consultation with
the Budget Office, the schools/colleges, and other campus
- Review and approve CU Boulder revenue contracts and consult
with University Legal Counsel when appropriate.
- Review and approve CU Boulder purchased goods and services
contracts, as delegated approval authority by the State Controller
or University Controller.What We Can OfferWe can offer a
competitive salary, commensurate with experience.BenefitsThe
University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including
medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO
Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest
employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher
education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado
Boulder.Be StatementsBe Ambitious. Be Strategic. Be Boulder.What We
- A bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or closely related
- Active Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license
- Seven years of experience in the following areas:
- Directly related to the duties and responsibilities
- Managing teams
- Experience analyzing financial performance and communicating
results to all levels of management within higher education or
non-profit environmentWhat You Will Need
- Expert knowledge of public higher education accounting, fiscal
operations, and financing, including knowledge of Generally
Accepted Accounting Principles, GASB, NACUBO, and State Higher
Education Reporting Standards.
- Integrated knowledge and understanding of public sector budget
and financial reporting processes and procedures.
- Ability to design and implement integrated financial control
systems, policies, and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability
to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a varied
community and develop a harmonious work environment.
- Knowledge of integrated business management principles and
practices in a public institution of higher education.
- Excellent professional leadership skills.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, interpret operational
needs, and develop integrated creative solutions.
- Knowledge of institutional and audit requirements for the
provision of financial information.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and decision-making
- Tactical planning and performance measurement skills.
- Ability to compile, analyze, interpret, and present complex
annual financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Federal and State
financial laws, regulations, and operating guidelines as they
pertain to public institutions of higher education.
- Skills in program planning, examining and re-engineering
operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and
implementing new strategies and procedures at an institute of
- Demonstrated organizational and management skills.
- Skills in the use of software to quantify and illustrate
complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or
- Ability to supervise and train employees including organizing,
prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments; evaluating
performance; and mentoring and coaching employees to achieve
maximum productivity.What We Would Like You To Have
- Masters degree in accounting, finance or related field.
- Previous accounting experience in higher education.
- Post-award/sponsored project experience.Special InstructionsTo
apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background
and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and
responsibilities of the position.You will not be asked to upload
references at this time.Please apply by April 15, 2020 for
consideration.Note: Application materials will not be accepted via
email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU
Boulder Jobs.Posting Contact InformationPosting Contact Name:
Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email:
Recruiting@colorado.eduThe University of Colorado Boulder is
committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty,
staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive
campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including
veterans and individuals with disabilities.The University of
Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
national origin, sex, age, pregnancy, disability, creed, religion,
sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran
status, political affiliation, or political philosophy. All
qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: University of Colorado, Boulder , Campus Controller, Accounting, Auditing , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!