Engineer Senior - Optical Design
Posted on: November 18, 2022
Clearance Requirement: - - A current, active Secret security
clearance is required. -Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly
curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer
discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation
and protect what matters most. We create innovative space
solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful
observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and
intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward
bravely and return home safely. -At our core, we're passionate,
committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary
things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and
partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means
listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across
all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard
equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested
in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that
propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond. - -For more
information, visit - -or connect with us on , , -or . -The
Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
strong execution. -Engineer Senior - Optical Design -In this career
enhancing opportunity, you will have a great deal of responsibility
and opportunity gain experience over the full life cycle of a
project. You will also develop leadership skills as your experience
builds. - We are looking for an advanced optical designer that
possesses a deep understanding of optical design and should be able
to provide multiple examples of complex designs that have been
implemented and deployed. -What You'll Do: -
- Work in a collaborative environment with other optical
engineers to develop novel state-of-the art optical designs for
space based and airborne optical systems.
- Help Ball advance our technology and develop innovative optical
systems for space- based applications designed for science,
defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Support Advanced Program development by contributing to
proposals, RFIs, and writing white papers.
- Lead or engage with teams of engineers during optical
sub-system development, integration, and alignment in a cross
disciplinary environment. -
- Participate in and present at design reviews.
- Assist with the procurement and validation of state-of the art
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as perform
analytical work and technology development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic
Capabilities Units and the Company. -Interact appropriately with
others in order to maintain a positive and productive work
- Perform other duties as necessary. -What You'll Need: -
- BS degree in Engineering or a related technical field, plus 8
or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- A Master's degree or PhD in Optical Engineering or a related
technical field is preferred.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- Top Secret (TS/SAP/SCI) is desired but not required.
- Experience in optical design, including UV through IR
reflective and refractive designs.
- Experience in optical design of tactical systems and
environments is desired.
- Knowledge of optical fabrication technology to support
procurement of optics.
- Solid knowledge and proven experience in optical engineering
analysis and design.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience with Matlab and optical design/analysis tools.
- Ability to work at all Ball Aerospace's Colorado campuses
(Boulder, Broomfield and Westminster) for extended periods of time.
-Flexible On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular
in-person engagement by working on-site for three or more days per
work week. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required. -Working Conditions: -
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to
the health and safety of all employees and is required as a
condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. -Please
remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in
Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be
illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. -This includes
the use of some CBD products. -A post-offer, pre-employment drug
test is a condition of employment. -
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
-Verification that your current security clearance or government
customer access meets the requirement for this position will be
required. -Relocation for this position is available. -Compensation
& Benefits: -
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: -$139,500 - $177,000 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For
details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or
visit our careers site. -US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED -Ball Aerospace
is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. - All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected
veteran status, or disability status.#LI-LB1
Keywords: Ball, Boulder , Engineer Senior - Optical Design, Engineering , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!