Innovation Lab Operations Manager
Company: Holland Hart
Posted on: September 21, 2022
General Purpose:The Innovation Lab Operations Manager serves as
trusted advisor to the Director of Innovation, manages the
Solutions Engineering team, and takes primary responsibility for
the day-to-day operations of the Innovation Lab (Lab). As needed,
this position will assist with operations for Juris Futura, LLC
Strategic Planning and Execution
- Work with the Lab Director and others in preparing the Lab's
annual business plans.
- Assist the team in executing on their plans and in helping to
coordinate the firm resources necessary for doing so. Monitor
performance against these plans throughout the year and keep all
parties and firm leadership informed
- Work with PGLs and other internal "customers" of the Lab to
ensure that their perspectives and development needs are
represented in the Lab's plans and that agreed upon initiatives and
projects are executed.
Financial Performance Management
- Develop and monitor annual budget and expenses for the Lab;
develop and monitor annual revenue, budget and expenses for
- Develop, monitor, and report on key development and performance
metrics, including staffing, activity levels, productivity, project
completion; keep Lab Director continuously informed as to
performance of the Lab and JF during the year; identify any issues,
and assist in addressing those issues; identify specific developer
/ scientist / analyst and other staff performance issues and
address those issues.
- Hold monthly customer service performance review meetings with
Lab Director and others responsible for managing developers
/scientists /analysts, and for assigning work.
- Prepare monthly performance reports, with appropriate analysis,
and distribute them to Lab Director and others as
- Work to create a realistic P&L measure for the Lab and JF;
work towards measuring the Lab's contributions, its' overall value
to the Firm, and its' profitability contribution; work to create
the same measures for JF.
- When required for JF, assist in creating a proposal generation,
client billing, invoicing, and collections system.
- Work with all interested parties, firm leadership, and relevant
PGLs to identify high-impact assignments and prioritize them in
relation to Lab capabilities and resources.
- Work with the Lab Director and others, manage discussions and
decisions for off-the shelf software as they relate to filling
practitioner needs, in lieu of creating new products within the
- Manage the project list, workload and development schedules of
the Lab; maintain focus on priority projects.
- Consistently look for ways to make the project assignment and
execution processes run better - more efficiently and more
- Improve communication both into and out of the Lab between
developers and users; monitor and continuously enhance the Quality
Solutions Engineers Management
- Oversee the Solutions Engineering team in their work to apply
Lab technology to solve practitioner problems
- As appropriate, serve as line manager for members of the
Solutions Engineering team.
Recruiting and Resource Management
- Work closely with the Lab Director to identify recruiting needs
for both the Lab and JF.
- Help to better define all the existing roles and
responsibilities of the developers / scientists / analysts; use
this clearer understanding to inform and craft the development and
- Develop and implement an enhanced customer support performance
monitoring and review process; manage that process within the
- Work closely with the Lab Director and Firm Professional
Development staff to identify training needs and play a leadership
role in ensuring that the appropriate training is provided to
executive staff (Director and Operations Exec) / developers /
scientists / analysts.
JF - Business Development, Marketing and Client Relations
When appropriate, liaise between Firm Client Relations,
Marketing/Business Development, and Communications teams to work
towards supporting the Firm's overall strategic communications and
branding goals, expanding business from specific JF client targets,
and raising awareness in the marketplace.
- Manage selected business development initiatives.
- Manage development of marketing and business development
- Work with Communications team on articles, interviews and other
- Lead effort in creating awareness for JF.
Technical Resource Management
- Work closely with Lab Director to identify technology, platform
and infrastructure needs for the Lab and JF's development efforts.
Lead the process in developing the business case for these
- As necessary, work with Firm management and IT Leadership to
acquire, install and integrate these resources.
- Track industry trends and contribute to the continuous
improvement of the Lab's technical toolset.
Internal Meetings and Communication
- Work to ensure that Lab team members have high-functioning
meeting and communication protocols.
- Organize monthly meetings and assist Lab Director in developing
the agenda. Organize at least monthly Lab group meetings and assist
Lab Director in developing the agenda.
- Attend internal meetings (as appropriate) and present on
various topics relating to financial performance and management
- Attend JF Board meetings (as appropriate) and present on
various topics relating to financial performance and management
- Lead development of Lab retreats from a substantive and
- Organizes and oversees the schedules, work, and productivity of
- Manages their departments efficiently and in accordance with
- In accordance with policy, participates in staffing for teams
and decision making on hiring.
- Help to develop the job descriptions and support the
recruiting, interviewing and hiring process
- Help to codify and improve the on-boarding, orientation and
training process for new hires, with the goal of supporting them in
contributing optimally to the Lab's productivity as quickly as
- Provides performance feedback and completes evaluations that
are timely and constructive.
- With the assistance of HR, handles discipline and termination
of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
Job Qualifications (Education, Experience and Certification):
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university in
Engineering, Business Administration (or relevant curriculum).
Graduate Engineering degree and/or MBA preferred. Some law firm /
legal services experience not required, but helpful.
- Five to ten years' related and transferable experience in the
areas of project management, software development management,
recruiting and administration in a software development setting, or
other technology environment, five years of which experience would
be in a management capacity, relating to:
- Management of people in technical settings
- Budget and finance management
- Efficient and effective project management relating to software
or technology development, financial management and human
- Demonstrated analytical and operational skills.
- Excellent executive-level leadership and communication
- Ability to develop and cultivate strong professional working
relationships with diverse colleague group.
- Ability to engender motivation and confidence in all members of
the Lab and Firm.
- Strategic Thinking - Plans and makes decisions within the
framework of the firm's strategic intent.
- Team Management - Creates and maintains functional work
- Communication - Recognizes the essential value of continuous
- Results Orientation - Maintains appropriate focus on outcomes
- Change Agility - Adaptable, embraces the needed change and
modifies behavior to achieve firm objectives.
Physical Requirements:While performing the duties of this position,
the employee must have the ability to sit, stand and/or walk for
extended periods of time; manipulate (lift, carry, move) weights of
at least ten (10) pounds; have repetitive wrist/hand/finger
movement to work on a computer and/or related office equipment;
speak clearly and concisely so listeners can understand; and
regularly understand the speech of another person.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by this position to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Work Environment:Professional office atmosphere. Sedentary work
that primarily involves sitting or standing for prolonged periods.
Position may require occasional off-hour meetings and events.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those this position may encounter while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions.
Note:This job description is intended to convey information
essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general
nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job.
However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive
list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities
or working conditions associated with the position.
Holland & Hart offers of employment take into consideration a
candidate's education, training, and experience, as well as the
position's work location, external market and internal value,
including seniority and merit systems, and internal pay alignment
when determining the salary level for potential new employees. CO
Salary Range -$113,924.95-$189,874.92. A discretionary bonus may be
available based upon performance.
Holland & Hart works hard to promote work/life balance with a
37.5-hour scheduled work week for most staff employees, a robust
wellness program, and generous PTO and holiday pay for eligible
employees. Full-time employees become eligible for benefits on the
date hire, with a benefits offering that includes, dental, vision,
life, AD&D, EAP, STD, and LTD. Also available are voluntary
income protection benefits such as supplemental life, accident,
critical illness, and long-term care insurances, as well as a
401(k)-retirement plan with a company match. In addition, the firm
has programs that may provide for educational assistance, free or
discounted legal services, and opportunities through the Holland &
Hart Foundation, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to
creating volunteer opportunities for lawyers, staff, families, and
friends of Holland & Hart LLP. Part-time employees may have access
to some of these benefits, which may be on a pro-rated basis.
Keywords: Holland Hart, Boulder , Innovation Lab Operations Manager, Executive , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!