Software Engineer - NCAR
Company: MPOWIR Mentoring Physical Oceanography Women to In
Posted on: November 18, 2022
Where You Will WorkLocated in Boulder, Colorado, the National
Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) is one of the world's
premier scientific institutions, with an internationally recognized
staff and research program dedicated to advancing knowledge,
providing community-based resources, and building human capacity in
the atmospheric and related sciences.What You Will DoThe Pangeo
) is a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded effort to develop a
scalable solution for analyzing extremely large Atmosphere / Ocean
/ Land / Climate (AOLC) datasets on high-performance computing
(HPC) and commercial cloud environments (e.g., Amazon EC2, Google
Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure, etc.). The Pangeo platform is
built around three Open Source projects: Dask, Xarray, and Jupyter.
It is developed by an international Open Source development
community that collaborates and communicates via Github.The role of
this position is to assist with the development of the Pangeo
platform core technology, help with deployment of the Pangeo
platform on local NCAR machines or where ever NCAR data presides,
and assist with the development of packages built on top of the
core Pangeo tools that aid the AOLC community that NCAR supports.
This position will also assess and assist with performance
measurements, benchmarking, and optimization efforts to aid the
AOLC community using the Pangeo platform.Software Engineering
- Assists with the development, implementation, and maintenance
of software contributions to Open Source packages used by the
Pangeo community as they pertain to NCAR systems or data
- Works in collaboration with local and international Pangeo
community members via Github in a vibrant Open Source development
- Assists with the development and maintenance of Pangeo
installations and deployments on local HPC systems or commercial
cloud that access NCAR resources,
- Assists with the development of Pangeo documentation, including
user guides, reference manuals, tutorials, installation guides for
Pangeo technology on NCAR systems or commercial cloud that access
NCAR resources, and
- Continually advances own knowledge of relevant emerging tools
and technologies in the field.Software Support Responsibilities:
- Debugging and maintaining software including Python and shell
- Use of the Git version control system.
- Online and in-person collaboration using technology like
Github, including responding to user issues and requests.
- Work on both local HPC systems and in commercial cloud
deployments.What You Need
- Bachelor's degree in a computer-related field (Computer
Science, Mathematics, Computer Engineering, Information Sciences,
Software Engineering, or equivalent), or an equivalent combination
of education and relevant experience (e.g., an associate's degree
and three to four years of experience).
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming in Python.
- Knowledge of industry best practices, including revision
control, testing, requirements analysis, software design,
prototyping, integration, and documentation.
- Knowledge of parallel programming techniques including
multithreading and multiprocessing (local or distributed).
- Skill applying the basic software development process to
computing applications and/or programming problems.
- Skill in using standard OS tools for writing, building, and
- Basic skill in analyzing existing code, some proficiency with
development tools, and the ability to debug software
- Good written and oral communication skills and the ability to
communicate technical concepts to others.
- Ability to organize technical materials related to development
- Willingness and ability to infrequently travel
- Experience with the Pangeo platform Python stack (Xarray, Dask,
- Experience working with geoscientific data (e.g., NetCDF,
- Experience with cloud computing environments (e.g., Kubernetes,
- Experience with high-performance computing (HPC)
- Experience with commercial data analytics tools such as Spark
- Experience with Git and/or Github.
- Experience with markup languages (e.g., markdown or
reStructuredText).The University Corporation for Atmospheric
Research (UCAR) is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative
action employer that strives to develop and maintain a diverse
workforce. UCARis committed to providing equal opportunity for all
employees and applicants for employmentand does not discriminate on
the basis of race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or
ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic
information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or
pregnancy.Whatever yourintersection of identities, you are welcome
at the University Corporation for Atmospheric Research (UCAR).We
are committed to inclusivityandpromoting an equitable environment
that values and respects the uniqueness of all members of our
organization. Your email address will not be published. Required
fields are marked * Comment * Name * E-mail * Website
Keywords: MPOWIR Mentoring Physical Oceanography Women to In, Boulder , Software Engineer - NCAR, IT / Software / Systems , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!