Principal Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Propulsion
Company: Ball Corporation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Clearance Requirement: A current, active Top Secret security
clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For
more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with
us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
Principal Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Propulsion
This position is for a highly-experienced spacecraft propulsion
system engineer who can lead a team through the design phase,
perform analysis, support the production phase, support the test
phase and lead the operation phase.
What You'll Do:
- Lead the development of innovative propulsion solutions and
- Lead an engineering team through the development of new and/or
refinement of existing propulsion systems including sizing,
performance analyses, requirement allocation, design, verification,
and flight operations
- Requirement flow-down, development, verification
- Propulsion system/component sizing, performance analyses and
- Subcontract technical management including development of
specifications and SOWs
- Leadership of hardware design, and build
- Lead and conduct subsystem testing
- Cost account, resource and schedule management
- Technical writing (procedural, analysis support and description
- Launch and mission operations support
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required, plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Current Top Secret security clearance required.
- 8 years of direct experience in spacecraft Propulsion Subsystem
Engineering with a solid understanding of all aspects of design,
analysis, production, test and operation.
- A strong technical foundation - people who flourish behave like
- Fluids knowledge preferred, strong CFD background desired.
- Capable of performing propulsion system sizing and performance
analysis (such as propellant usage/budgets, flow/dP analyses, water
hammer, thruster plume impingement)
- Effective in small team work environment with broad
responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual
- Demonstrated experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
including meeting cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Additional propulsion system type knowledge is highly
- Regulated Pressure Systems
- Cold gas
- Electric Propulsion
- Plume analysis
- Experience with MATLAB and other industry propulsion analytical
tools is highly desirable.
- Customer Relationships: Extensive knowledge of missions and
customers across core technologies areas. Knowledge/experience
working with critical customer base, established relationships with
key personnel within customer community.
- Superb presentation skills with experience to senior decision
making and technical audiences.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government
customer access meets the requirement for this position will be
Relocation for this position is available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Boulder
Nearest Secondary Market: Denver
Keywords: Ball Corporation, Boulder , Principal Systems Engineer - Spacecraft Propulsion, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!