Engineer Senior - Civil Space Spacecraft Lead
Company: Ball Corporation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For
more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with
us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
Engineer Senior - Civil Space Spacecraft Lead
This leadership position is for an experienced system engineer
who can lead a spacecraft bus team from the proposal and
preliminary design stages through development, test and delivery
for a NASA civil space program. The spacecraft bus lead will have
responsibility for the overall spacecraft design and
What You'll Do:
- Develop and manage the spacecraft bus technical baseline -
develop solutions that meet our customer needs and
- Work with subsystem leads, providing direction and
prioritization of tasks and reviewing their design analysis -
- Support preparation and presentation of major design and
readiness reviews for NASA - convey to our customers that our craft
will do what they need.
- Responsible for generating engineering documents including
specifications, environmental design requirements, support to
subsystem procurement specifications and statements of work, and
test plan development - own the technical baseline.
- Communicate spacecraft status and risk posture to the program
- Lead and guide spacecraft bus vehicle level trades and analysis
- balance technical performance, cost and risk.
- Translate science measurement requirements into mission
constraints and spacecraft capabilities such as launch vehicle
options, orbital or interplanetary trajectories, pointing agility,
power management scheme and other concepts of operations.
- Work with and provide high level design concepts that may have
no or loosely defined requirements.
- Assess the NASA Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of system
level hardware and/or designs.
- Identify technical risks and provide mitigation
- Assemble a top-level technology development plan for items or
subsystems below TRL 6.
- Provide top level ROM cost estimation based upon previous
programs and current mission and spacecraft needs.
- Work collaboratively with other engineers and the
customer/partner in an inclusive environment.
- Provide technical leadership at all levels, including
interfacing with outside customers/partners.
- Grasp the big picture and initiate actions wherever needed,
even if they are not clearly defined.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Extensive knowledge of spacecraft systems, subsystems, and
current industry offerings.
- Proven success as a technical team lead or deputy (four years
required) with experience in most phases of execution of a space
- Experience writing NASA proposals is desirable.
- Working knowledge of most spacecraft subsystems sufficient to
lead requirements allocation, design trades and performance
- Demonstrated leadership skills with spacecraft design and
development teams for concepts, proposals or programs.
- Ability to brainstorm ideas and identify important trades,
especially those that drive cost or schedule.
- Ability to negotiate and help define customer/partner
- Architect/Design to cost, and new business experience is highly
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to effectively lead group
discussions, ability to set priorities and delegate as required to
- Experience in multidisciplinary teamwork environment with small
team leadership responsibilities.
- A desire to learn - our culture fosters intellectual curiosity
in a highly collaborative environment.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills are
- Working/indirect knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) is
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not
required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must
be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an
offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable
clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to
complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to
evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security
clearance or government customer access associated with this
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click
here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Boulder
Nearest Secondary Market: Denver
Keywords: Ball Corporation, Boulder , Engineer Senior - Civil Space Spacecraft Lead, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!