Staff Consultant - Focal Plane Mechanical Lead
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather
forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver
actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our
freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more
information, visit or connect with us on , , or .
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational
talent and technical leadership that enables the successful
delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our
customers missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are
committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong
Staff Consultant - Focal Plane Mechanical Lead
What Youll Do:
- Lead the design effort for focal plane system hardware from
proposal phase thru award, detailed design, fabrication, assembly,
test, and requirement verification.
- Responsible for cost and schedule planning and tracking as well
as managing efforts through robust engineering change processes
including risk and opportunity management.
- Evaluate system-level interfaces and perform early architecture
- Define, maintain, iterate, and verify the focal plane
requirements that are needed to meet the system and other subsystem
requirements and interfaces.
- Generate, iterate, maintain, and release the focal plane design
that meets system and subsystem requirements.
- Support cross-functional analyses (cryogenic, structural,
optical, material science, contamination modeling) over the full
- Transition to leading team of 5-10 design and analysis
engineers with majority of time spent leading the team and
communicating with the internal and external customers; mentoring
of less experienced engineers is encouraged and expected.
- Coordinate with personnel from all other payload sub-systems
and spacecraft structure, including external interfaces such as
customers, customer consultants, sub-system providers and launch
- Collaborate with payload systems engineering and program
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What Youll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required plus 16 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Masters Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering preferred.
- Proficiency in SolidWorks or equivalent 3D CAD software.
- 16 years proven experience designing focal plane assemblies or
similar complex, process-intensive hardware such as microelectronic
hybrid packages, precise opto-mechanical assemblies, fiber optic
gyros, or optical communication transceivers for the space
environment is preferred.
- Creative problem-solving and innovative design concepts with
minimal requirements definition.
- Strong interpersonal written and verbal communication skills;
strong engagement in multi-disciplinary environment.
- Strong presentation skills.
- SSBI clearance preferred; Ability to obtain and maintain a SSBI
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not
required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must
be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an
offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable
clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to
complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to
evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security
clearance or government customer access associated with this
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $151,000 - $191,000 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For
details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or
visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected
veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Boulder
Nearest Secondary Market: Denver
Keywords: Ball, Boulder , Staff Consultant - Focal Plane Mechanical Lead, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!