Engineer Principal - Vibration Lead
Company: Ball Corporation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For
more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with
us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role
in enabling efficient business and program execution - from
technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and
test operations, facilities management, and information technology
Engineer Principal - Vibration Lead
You will be responsible for leading a team of 8 to 10 engineers
/ technicians performing vibration, pyro, shock, modal, and
acoustic testing for state-of-the-art aerospace products. The
candidate will be responsible for interfacing with customers,
providing leadership to lab personnel, metrics, leading capital
projects, performing tests, capturing and analyzing data, to ensure
customer requirements are met. Strong customer interface and
leadership skills will be required.
What You'll Do:
- Lead day to day activities such as, budget, scheduling,
troubleshooting, root cause analysis, corrective actions,
preventative maintenance plans, validate equipment and test
- Cross train team to build bench depth in all dynamic test
- Provide employees with expectations, reviews and career path
- Create a long-term vision, drive process improvement
initiatives and capital programs to build and maintain a world
class test facility.
- Develop and manage department metrics.
- Maintain and update required records and reports.
- Perform tests and test engineering services for
state-of-the-art aerospace products, review program test plans and
requirements, to ensure facility and equipment capabilities meet
- Engagement programs early to help plan test activities to
- Work with a team of Test Engineers, Design Engineers,
Structural Engineers, Hardware Quality Engineers, Inspectors, and
- Develop test engineering documentation (e.g. plans, procedures
and reports) and present test results to internal and external
- Proactively work with internal customers to understand test
- Define new equipment needs; forward vision and plan
- Ensure the testability of hardware designs and procedures.
- Follow standard procedures, applies knowledge and skills to
current, routine tasks.
- Promote development of a strong team by participation in key
aspects of the project and mentoring more junior team members.
- Review and accurately interpret schematics, drawings,
specifications and procedures for completeness and compliance to
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Experience with Structural Analysis, Structural Dynamic /
- Knowledge in the use and limitations of vibration exciters,
vibration instrumentation, data acquisition systems, force
transducers and accelerometers.
- Software evaluation skills and a strong working knowledge of
Spectral Dynamics control SW, IDEAS, and MATLAB.
- Experience in working with people at all levels.
- Proven leadership and program execution skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Capable of leading and / or directing group discussions.
- Experience in anomaly resolution, troubleshooting, and
- Capable of resolving technical problems or discrepancies with
the team, customers, and subcontractors, in a timely manner.
- Ability to manage department cost, budget and schedule
- Recognition as an expert in their field.
- Ability to work cross organizationally with process
- Power amplifier and shaker maintenance experience highly
- Knowledge of metrology and utilization of calibrated
- Experience working with program critical hardware.
- Will be required to obtain company certifications.
- Competency using MS Office.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $128,500 - $162,000 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For
details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your
browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Boulder
Nearest Secondary Market: Denver
Keywords: Ball Corporation, Boulder , Engineer Principal - Vibration Lead, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!