Principal Engineer - Spacecraft Engineering
Company: Ball Corporation
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission
focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For
more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with
us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
Principal Spacecraft Systems Engineer
Spacecraft Engineering is looking for a Spacecraft Systems
Engineer with a background in either systems engineering or any of
the spacecraft subsystem areas (Thermal, ADCS, EPDS, CDH, Telecomm,
FSW, Structures, Mechanisms) to help maintain the Ball Spacecraft
Product Line and support business development activities.
What You'll Do
- Work in and/or lead a team, rapidly iterate and eventually
produce conceptual spacecraft designs to meet customer mission
- Sometimes work with customers to define mission-level con-ops
and system requirements.
- Define and derive spacecraft-level requirements, often with
little guidance from customers.
- Conduct subsystem and system-level trade studies, including
- Evaluate and assess current and innovative aerospace components
and subsystems to identify potential suppliers for the future Ball
- Become proficient in subsystem areas outside current expertise,
making use of Ball SMEs and training opportunities.
- Perform subsystem-level analyses and produce data products such
as mass equipment lists, mass properties reports, propellant
budgets, and thermal analyses/assessments, RF link budgets, power
budgets, concept of operations.
- Create and present viewgraphs describing spacecraft subsystems,
eventually with awareness and ability to optimize presentations for
specific customers and audiences.
- Execution-Leadership Balance: the initial effort will consist
of engineering execution with an eventual transition to leadership
of the engineering design teams.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support
Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order
to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field
is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master's Degree or
Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related
technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree
must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited
by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US
Department of Education.
- Experience with CAD (preferably Solid Works) is strongly
- An enthusiasm to embrace the concepts of design-to-cost, lean
operations, agile work flow.
- Willingness to learn from others, be open to design solutions
not their own.
- Excellent communication skills in the team environment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Future Clearance Required:
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not
required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must
be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an
offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable
clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to
complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to
evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security
clearance or government customer access associated with this
Relocation for this position is not available.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
protected veteran status, or disability status.
Nearest Major Market: Boulder
Nearest Secondary Market: Denver
Keywords: Ball Corporation, Boulder , Principal Engineer - Spacecraft Engineering, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!