The PhET Interactive Simulations project (http://phet.colorado.edu) at CU
Boulder has an opening for a full-time International STEM Education
Specialist to manage, implement, and advance PhET's work with the
global STEM education community! This position will work to craft
and implement multiple approaches for supporting communities around
the world to increase access to PhET simulations, build localized
high-quality sim-based instructional resources, and provide
effective teacher professional development opportunities,
contextualized to the local community. To realize these goals, the
candidate will work with PhET's sim pedagogy and accessibility
specialists, website and simulation developers, and various
international and local education organizations around the world,
with an initial focus on Latin America and Africa. The candidate
will work at multiple levels of this global initiative, from
strategic-planning to partnership formation to co-design and
implementation of dissemination and teacher professional
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Founded in 2002 by Nobel Laureate Carl Wieman, the PhET
Interactive Simulations project at CU Boulder is a world leader in
the design and use of interactive math and science simulations for
advancing STEM education. The PhET team is dedicated to
high-quality STEM education for all students, disseminating PhET
simulations as open (free) education resources globally and
groundbreaking approaches for making interactive content accessible
to all learners. Today, PhET simulations are used more than 225
million times per year globally and translated into more than 90
The PhET team is a hardworking, creative, and productive group,
including STEM education, simulation, and inclusive design
specialists, education researchers, software engineers, quality
assurance specialists, and more. Our project is a blend of an
academic research project, an outreach project, and an innovative
education technology company, housed within the Department of
Physics and working with diverse partners at CU Boulder and around
the world. PhET's work has received numerous international awards,
including being named a 2017 WISE Awards Winner, a 2011 Tech Award
Laureate, and a winner of the 2014 Reimagine Education Award.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
The successful applicant will join the vibrant and productive
PhET team, working closely with the PhET Director, PhET's sim
design and pedagogy specialists, and our international partners.
The responsibilities will include:
Strategy and Planning: Working with the PhET Director,
- Establish effective organizational strategies and processes for
developing and supporting new international partnerships, grounded
in best-practices for STEM education and community engagement.
- Identify and implement process improvement strategies for
detailing and tracking existing partnerships.
- Develop methodologies to track and evaluate international
program impacts through web analytics and other impact
International Partner Development, Training, and Support: In
collaboration with PhET's sim design and pedagogy specialists, and
with an initial focus on Latin America and Africa,
- Develop new tools, resources, and approaches to effectively
support existing and new international partnerships.
- Develop and deliver professional development experiences for
teachers and teacher-trainers on best-practices for sim-based
instruction at K-12 and university levels.
- Plan and coordinate a monthly webinar series for the African
continent where African education researchers using PhET sims
translate their research findings for use by African
- Design and conduct partner interviews in target countries to
better understand country-specific experiences and needs, and to
inform PhET priorities for supporting various international
- Work with the PhET website team to disseminate teacher, teacher
training, and webinar resources online.
- Envision and implement new opportunities to support the
international community of PhET users.
International Fundraising and Operations Management
- Co-lead the planning, coordination, operation, and growth of a
new PhET Ambassadors program, in which in-region specialists are
contracted to support local organizations as they work to
disseminate PhET simulations, to train local teachers on sim-based
pedagogy, and/or to develop sim-based instructional materials
aligned to the local curriculum.
- Work with PhET Director in identifying and encouraging
international fundraising opportunities.
- Work with PhET Director in grant proposal writing to
international funding organizations.
What You Should Know
- This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position, but we will
consider candidates interested in a part-time 80% position (32
- The start date is flexible.
- Opportunity for advancement with growing leadership and
- Candidates can work remotely or relocate to Boulder. Modest
relocation funds are available for this position following the
University of Colorado's relocation processes and procedures.
What We Can Offer
The annual starting salary range for this position is
$60,000-$90,000, adjusted accordingly for the cost of living if
working remotely. Salary is commensurate with education and
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including
medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO
Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest
employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher
education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado
Be Brilliant. Be Inspired. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject area or in STEM
- Experience in STEM education for a minimum of five years.
- Experience working with and supporting diverse partners.
- Experience in program management for a minimum of three
What You Will Need
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to innovate, develop or adopt best-practices and manage
and facilitate the implementation of change.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong writing and communication skills, including the ability
to effectively utilize different communication methods (e.g.,
written, verbal, visual).
- Ability to balance multiple tasks, deadlines, and requests
while effectively managing resources and utilizing appropriate
- Positive and solutions-focused work attitude.
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience in STEM teacher professional development and
- Experience working with international organizations, especially
in Africa and/or Latin America.
- Working familiarity with the learning sciences and STEM
education research findings, and researched-based instructional
- Ability to contribute to a diverse and inclusive work
- Knowledge of or experience using PhET simulations in STEM
- Experience in writing grant proposals or fundraising.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- Cover Letter briefly describing your qualifications,
professional goals, and specific interest in this position
- Statement of your Teaching Philosophy
- Application Task 1
- Please spend about 30 minutes exploring the PhET website
to learn more about PhET, and then write a 1-2 page description of
your ideas for scaling the effective use of PhET simulations to
advance STEM education globally. Please briefly cover 1) the
factors you consider important when thinking about scaling to other
countries, particularly in Latin America and Africa, 2) strategies
you might employ to achieve these goals when interacting at
different levels of the educational system from state ministries to
companies to local education organizations to individual teachers,
and 3) ways PhET simulations are well positioned to achieve these
goals and where improvement is needed.
- Portfolio URL/Link (optional)
- Transcripts/Proof of Degree (optional)
- If you are selected as the finalist, your degree will be
verified by the CU Boulder Campus Human Resources department using
an approved online vendor. If your degree was obtained outside of
the United States, please submit a translated version (if
applicable) as an optional attachment.
Additionally, during the application process, you will need to
enter contact information for three references who will be
contacted to provide letters of recommendation and additional
materials, if needed, as the search progresses.
Application review will begin June 14, 2021, and will continue
until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu