POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER - HELIOPHYSICS - BOULDER, COLORADO
Company: Southwest Research Institute
Posted on: September 22, 2022
Who We Are: As a recognized leader in space science research and
spacecraft instrumentation, avionics, and electronics, we are
helping to reveal the secrets of our solar system and the universe.
Objectives of this Role:
- The goal of this project is to conduct a program of data
analysis and modeling that addresses fundamental outstanding
questions in solar dynamo theory.
- Use a state-of-the-art surface flux transport model to
understand and predict the evolution of the magnetic fields on the
Sun for both short (weeks) and long (years) timescales.
- Develop automatic algorithms for incorporating non-traditional
magnetic data (e.g., far-side helioseismic and/or historical white
light) into a surface flux transport model. Daily and Monthly
- Use a state-of-the-art surface flux transport model to create
an ensemble of solar cycle evolution predictions.
- Attend regular meetings with the project team/lead to discuss
progress and develop project pathways.
- Assist with annual reports, conference abstracts, and other
communications to the broader science community, as needed.
- Present results of the work at scientific conferences, and
publish the results in peer-reviewed journals. Requirements:
- Requires a PhD with a 3.00 GPA in Solar Phyics, Astrophysics,
Computational & Data Science, or Physics
- 0 years (PhD not required at time of application, but must be
obtained before the start of work)
- 3+ years of academic research experience
- 3+ years of experience with C, Fortran, Python, and/or IDL
- Experience with obtaining and processing solar photospheric
images, surface flux transport or dynamo modeling, and/or
experience with data statistics and accessing uncertainty is
helpful Special Requirements: Work assignment is in Boulder,
Colorado. This is a 1 year limited term assignment with option to
extend. Job Locations: Boulder, Colorado Salary Range: $62,000.00 -
$82,000.00 For more information about this division, visit the home
page. For benefits information at our San Antonio location, click .
For benefits information at all other locations, click . An Equal
Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National
Origin/Disabled/Veteran Committed to Diversity in the Workplace If
you need assistance with completing the application, please Label
As required by Executive Order 14042, all SwRI employees are
required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such
exceptions as required by law. If selected for employment, you will
be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit
documentation of proof of vaccination by December 8, 2021, or
before reporting to work with SwRI if after December 8, 2021. SwRI
will provide additional information regarding what information or
documentation will be needed and how you can request of SwRI a
legally required exception from this requirement. //
Keywords: Southwest Research Institute, Boulder , POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER - HELIOPHYSICS - BOULDER, COLORADO, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!