Engineer Senior - Stray Light
Company: Ball Aerospace
Posted on: November 19, 2022
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an
unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our
customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters
most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate
weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet,
deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who
defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe
together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work
collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to
solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one
another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We
value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and
creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our
mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our
business and motivates us all to Go Beyond. -
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect
with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the
organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the
successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for
our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams
are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and
Engineer Senior - Stray Light
In this career enhancing opportunity, you will have a great deal of
responsibility and opportunity to gain experience over the full
life cycle of a project. You will also develop leadership skills as
your experience builds.
We are looking for an experienced stray light analyst. The
candidate will possess a deep understanding of stray light
requirements, mitigation techniques, and analysis tools.
What You'll Do:
- Work in a cross-disciplinary and collaborative team environment
with other optical, mechanical, and systems engineers to design and
design, develop, and test optical systems with excellent stray
- Help Ball advance our technology and develop innovative optical
systems for space- based applications designed for science,
defense, intelligence, and commercial customers.
- Support Advanced Program development by contributing to
proposals, RFIs, and writing white papers.
- Lead or engage with teams of engineers during optical
sub-system development, integration, and alignment.
- Participate in and present at design reviews.
- Assist with the procurement and validation of state-of-the-art
optical components including mirrors, lenses, gratings, and stray
light control features.
- Work hands-on with optical hardware as well as perform
analytical work and technology development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within
the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic
Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with
others in order to maintain a positive and productive work
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree in Engineering or a related technical field, plus 8
or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may
substitute for two years of experience. Related technical
experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be
from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an
agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department
- Degree in Optical Engineering is preferred.
- A Master's degree or PhD in Optical Engineering or a related
technical field is preferred.
- Experience in stray light design and test of optical
- Solid knowledge and proven experience in stray light design and
analysis with either FRED (preferred) or similar capability
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools.
- Experience with Matlab and optical design/analysis tools.
- Ability to work at all Ball Aerospace's Colorado campuses
(Boulder, Broomfield and Westminster) for extended periods of
- Current Secret (DoD S) clearance is desired.
- Current Top Secret (TS/SCI) clearance is desired, but not
Flexible On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular
in-person engagement by working on-site for three or more days per
work week. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other
possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to
the health and safety of all employees and is required as a
condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please
remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in
Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be
illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes
the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug
test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor,
or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of
protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not
required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must
be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an
offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable
clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to
complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to
evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security
clearance or government customer access associated with this
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $139,500 - $177,000 (Salary to be
determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and
abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For
details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or
visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected
veteran status, or disability status.
Keywords: Ball Aerospace, Boulder , Engineer Senior - Stray Light, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!