Specialist Electrical Assembler
Company: University of Colorado Boulder
Posted on: November 22, 2022
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) at the
University of Colorado is encouraging applications for an
Electrical Assembler to join our team. In this role, you will
handle the Electrical Assembly of PWBA and Harnesses. We are
looking for a very experienced senior assembler to fill this role
and one who is capable of improving the overall processes and
quality in production.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a
culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students
dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We
are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and
individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) began in
1948, a decade before NASA. We are the world's only research
institute to have sent instruments to all eight planets and
LASP combines all aspects of space exploration through our
expertise in science, engineering, mission operations, and
scientific data analysis. As part of CU, LASP also works to educate
and train the next generation of space scientists, engineers, and
mission operators by integrating undergraduate and graduate
students into working teams.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
* Fabricate and rework high-quality sophisticated electrical flight
products (PCBA, cables and harnesses, test fixtures, etc.) using
build documents and assembly drawings.
* Ability to work from detailed schematics, wire lists, bill of
materials, engineering drawings and documentation, etc. with
* Have outstanding attention to detail and the ability to maintain
high execution of work quality with minimum oversight.
* Detailed understanding of proper soldering techniques for work on
PWBA assemblies including technical standards, concepts, and
techniques in manufacturing.
* Ability to work on custom cabling and wire harnesses.
* Efficiently completes work assignments by agreed upon date,
paying close attention to workmanship standards, schedule, and
* Help maintain standards for lab access.
* Establish and maintain working relationships within the
department and also with the engineering group. LASP does not have
a manufacturing engineer as a result the production staff are
expected to help bridge the gap with engineering which includes the
* Participate in build reviews with engineering.
* Advising on the most efficient workflow and associated steps.
* Provides highly innovative solutions independently or in
collaboration with engineers.
* Willingness and ability to respectfully share skills and
techniques with other production staff including training other
personnel as needed.
* Ability to inspect coworker's work to check quality levels.
What You Should Know
* All University of Colorado Boulder employees are required to
comply with the campus COVID-19 vaccine requirement. New employees
must provide proof of vaccination or receive a medical or religious
exemption within 30 days of employment.
* Due to US Export Control restrictions, only US Citizens and
Permanent Residents may apply.
What We Can Offer
The salary range for this position is $81,000 - $106,000. We offer
a generous retirement plan that includes 200% matching for the
first 5% contributed with immediate vesting. Relocation assistance
is available per institute guidelines.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including
medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO
Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest
employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher
education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado
Be driven. Be resourceful. Be Boulder.
What We Require
* At least 9 or more years of hand electrical assembly
* An Associate's, technical degree, or bachelor's degree in a
related field; additional experience may substitute for this
* Demonstrate ability to apply extensive technical expertise to
build precision spaceflight quality hardware on-schedule, working
from schematics, drawings, tables, procedures, and/or notes.
* Possess strong mechanical aptitude, hand eye- coordination and
ability to work with a variety of different hand tools. E.g crimp,
solder, wire strip, screw, bolt, press-fit, etc.
* Must be able to obtain the necessary certification to perform
flight assembly work (e.g. IPC J-STD-001S soldering, IPC/WHMA-A-620
S Cable & Wire Harness assemblies, IPC-7711 and 7721 rework and
repair, Cleanroom, ESD, Hazardous waste, Pressure Vessel
* Expert at operating the assembly tools of the trade in a safe
What You Will Need
* Be self-directed and work independently but also with other team
* Availability and willingness to work overtime as required - LASP
relies on quality work and strives to keep overtime to a
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Outstanding attention to detail.
* Ability to work with Microsoft word applications.
What We Would Like You To Have
* Previous or current certification to NASA STD's 8739.4 IPC-620
for cable harnessing and crimping and J-STD-001 or 8739.3 for PWBA
* Experience with Lead Forming of dual and quad pack parts.
* Familiar with NASA 8739.1 build requirements for polymeric
application on electronic assemblies.
* Previous experience working in a lab environment.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
* Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue
until the position is filled.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For
consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu
Keywords: University of Colorado Boulder, Boulder , Specialist Electrical Assembler, Other , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!