Company: Colorado Chautauqua Association
Posted on: March 20, 2023
The Production Technical Manager has overall responsibility for
coordinating and the execution of audio/visual and production needs
for all private and public events at Chautauqua. This position acts
as Production Manager throughout Chautauqua's multiple venues,
managing year-round, part-time and seasonal staff, and responsible
for ensuring the general maintenance and life cycle of Chautauqua's
tech inventory. A high volume of work is to be expected from March
through September during and in preparation for the summer season.
Evening and weekend work is required in meeting position
ResponsibilitiesTechnical Operations - Public Events
- Oversees all aspects of production including installation and
proper use of technical elements, such as audio, lighting, rigging,
and stage management.
- Responsible for production equipment rentals including delivery
of pianos, risers, lighting, and backline equipment.
- Serve as liaison between Chautauqua and artist/performer,
promoter, private vendor, etc. to ensure all production needs are
met and that all riders and other contractual obligations are
- Develop and foster relationships with artist, tour crew, artist
management, and other important personnel to ensure streamlined
communication and successful execution of each show.
- Oversee the load in and load out of the show from artists,
vendors and all that apply.
- Coordinates with Colorado Music Festival (CMF) and concert
promoter (Z2) on summer event and rehearsal schedules and other
event production needs.
- Oversee production budget, including department payroll,
purchasing and rental of event related equipment and supplies.
Technical Operations - Private Events
- Work closely with team managers, clients, and other technicians
to ensure successful execution of events.
- Schedule technicians for private events, per Banquet Event
Order specifications and timeline.
- Arrange, quote and secure equipment needs outside of
Chautauqua's in-house inventory -through third party
- Prep, set, operate, and strike audio/visual equipment in
conference spaces to meet customer needs.
- Provide excellent customer service and promptly handle any
- Ensure equipment is functional, safely and professionally
presented and that client is familiar or comfortable with the
operation of any equipment they are utilizing.
- Collaborate with internal and external teams in a professional
manner that reflects the values of Chautauqua.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with event
organizers, and conference or meeting client; resolves conflicts
and answers questions timely and professionally. -Equipment
- Maintain updated inventory of Chautauqua audio/visual and
related equipment and identify, troubleshoot, and resolve all
equipment and/or technical issues as needed.
- Responsible for equipment and technical maintenance, repairs,
upgrades, and purchases as needed within budget guidelines.
- Consult with General Manager of Public Events, and Facilities
and Preservation Departments on decisions regarding venue
improvements, safety and sustainability and actively participate in
the planning and implementation of such improvements.
- Consult internally with appropriate department managers, as
well as CMF, outside contractors, and vendors in regard to
equipment upgrades, seasonal lighting and sound packages,
installation, safety, liability, and implementation. -Staff
- Hire, train, manage, and schedule Chautauqua's tech staff,
including a combination of seasonal and year-round staff, to ensure
that each event is adequately serviced by the appropriate
personnel, and within budgeted staffing guidelines.
- Ensure that all Technical Staff are properly trained and follow
CCA safety guidelines, including the operations of CCA equipment,
CCA emergency response plans, and CCA operating policies and
- Create production crew schedules, diffuse and resolve employee
conflicts; review, approve and submit payroll for production
- Lead, create and empower a positive and professional team
atmosphere. -Additional Responsibilities
- Create and maintain updated CCA Technical Policy and Procedure
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with
artists, event organizers, and conference or meeting client;
resolves conflicts and answers questions in a professional
- Trained and knowledgeable as to CCA's emergency response plans
and execute those in the event of an emergency as well as consult
with other CCA departments to write and implement new safety
policies as needed.
- Bachelor's degree, or combination of education and experience
in production and theater management, lighting design, audio
production and arts presentation may be considered.
- 5 + years of professional experience in a production position,
managing and executing concert events for a large venue.
- Must have advanced technical skills with running audio
consoles, lighting, sound reinforcement, rigging, and general
audio/visual equipment, projectors a plus.
- 3 + years personnel management.
- Knowledge of touring production standards.
- Knowledge of standard venue production management practices and
procedures with experience in performing arts venue preferred.
- Knowledge of accepted standards of safety in rigging,
electrics, and personal safety.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of state-of-the-art
lighting and sound equipment and systems.
- Knowledge of theatrical and concert design, acoustics, sound,
and production needs.
- Ability to read technical drawings and schematics.
- Practices strong organizational, analytical and communication
- Excellent conflict resolution skills and a bridge-building
approach to working with others.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, deal with complexity and
- Experience working in historic venues a plus.
Behavioral Traits and Attitudes
- Creates a professional team atmosphere.
- Leads and acts as a positive role model.
- Demonstrates a positive, can-do attitude and emphasis on
- Is a cool, calm and collected multi-tasker who inspires calm in
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability for change in a fast
paced, public environment.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service attitude and
orientation to all event organizers, guest performers, and their
- Effectively and amiably problem solves when issues or
- Maintains excellent rapport with staff, board members, guests,
artists, promoters, and community.
Keywords: Colorado Chautauqua Association, Boulder , Production/Technical Manager, Professions , Boulder, Colorado
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...